- Creating A Financial Plan For 2012 Conventions & Conferences
- How Board Games Help Your Pocketbook and Financial Planning [Guest Post]
- Carnival of Retirement 31st Edition
- TotallyMoney Blog Carnival- Big Bang Theory Birthdays Edition
- Truck Battery Price Wars! EverStart Maxx 78s vs Interstate Mega-Tron 78
|Mind Meld: 42 Things You Might Not Know About Me|
|42 - Life, the Universe, and Everything|
|Written by Dave Hilton|
As Geeks, we tend to spend our money (& time) differently than most people. The Debt Black Hole "Mind Meld"
is a special interview series designed to find out more about how Geek
actors, authors, journalists, artists, scientists, bloggers,
podcasters, entrepreneurs & others make, spend & manage their time, money and fund their lifestyle.
I thought I might do something FUN with this month's Mind Meld and turn the tables a bit. Instead of interviewing someone else, I'm sharing some things you probably don't know about me. I am not the first person to do this type of post. In fact, I'm just following a meme that's been going on for at least the last four years from what I could find. Other blogs I read- like Your Finances Simplified, You Have More Than You Think, Good Financial Cents, Money Talks Coaching, Fiscal Fizzle, Bargain Babe and countless others have participated in similar threads.
Although it appears the original theme was to share 7 things, I chose 42 things because...well...if you're a fan of Douglas Adams (as I am) you already know why. If not, then I suggest you start reading his stuff already...geez!
1. I was born premature- a month and 2 days early- and only weighed 6 pounds. (I've certainly made up for it since then.)
2. I am a twin. Unfortunately, my twin died in the womb. (My overactive imagination has created a story where I killed my evil twin before he/she destroyed the world. Either that or...I'm actually the evil twin. Dun, Dun, Dun!)
3. I have 11 siblings. (But the only one from when my Dad and Mom were married.)
4. I have only met 5 of my siblings. (A half-brother on my Dad's side and two half-sisters and half-brothers on my Mom's side.)
5. I didn't know I had that many brothers and sisters until 2 years ago when I reconnected with my Mom and her side of the family. (To say I was shocked doesn't even begin to describe it.)
6. Several of my siblings are younger than my children! (Apparently my Mom found something she's good at.)
7. I participated in the Upward Bound program to get college credits while still in High School. (That's where I met my best friend.)
8. After taking the ASVAB test in High School, I was aggressively recruited by every branch of the military. (However, I was already fat and refused to go to the military "fat camp" prior to basic training- even though both my Grandfather and Father served in the Navy.)
9. I planned to attend the University of Miami in Florida for my undergrad studies in Radio, but ended up staying in Oklahoma because of my business.
10. My best friend and I opened a CD/Record store when we were still in High School. (Ever seen Empire Records? Kinda like that, but not quite so big. Still had a lot of drama though!)
11. I wanted to open the CD/Record store because I was tired of paying retail for all the CD's I used in my Mobile DJ Business. (At the time, I didn't know what a vertical merger was...but I was doing it.)
12. I started a Mobile DJ Business because I was tired of being a wallflower at dances/parties. (Not to mention, I wanted to pick the music.)
13. I was a very shy kid. (I never spent the night at someone's house- they always had to come over to mine.)
14. Despite being on the Radio & DJ'ing for nearly 20 years, I am still uncomfortable in "cocktail party" situations. (I'm fine when I'm talking one-on-one with someone or I have a microphone in my hand in front of a crowd but small groups and generic conversations make me anxioius for some reason.)
15. I love giving gifts to others, but don't like receiving them.
16. My physical superpower (if you want to call it that) is that I have an extremely sensitive sense of smell.
17. Thanks to my extensive non-verbal communication training, my mental superpower is that I can usually tell if someone is lying (as long as I've had the opportunity to spend time with them to establish a baseline for their "normal" reactions).
18. I don't really like cats or dogs (thanks to my parents who decided it was a good idea to have 12 dogs and 3 cats when I was a kid...you can't even imagine how my super sensitive nose reacted to those smells).
19. My wife & kids managed to talk me into letting them have a dog despite my disdain for them (although my wife gets mad when I talk about the smell- since she can't smell it).
20. I am addicted to audiobooks (I have a separate bookshelf just for my audiobook collection).
21. You'll almost always see me reading a book, magazine or my Kindle if I'm not busy doing something else.
22. I enjoy reading books about personal finance, business, entrepreneurship, psychology, conflict, gender, generations and physics.
23. I am currently learning how to speak Arabic.
24. I can't decide whether to pursue a PhD or JD (although I'm leaning toward both at the moment).
25. I took the LSAT on a dare (part of the agreement was that I couldn't study for it). I still managed to get a 155.
26. I'd love to be able to dress up when I go to Comic Book Conventions, but there aren't any FAT Superheroes that I can find.
27. I wear shorts nearly year round (the Texas weather helps a lot).
28. I HATE shaving.
29. I was the first person in my family to graduate from college.
30. I am the first person in my family to graduate with a Master's Degree.
31. I am the only person in my family (at least so far) to have any interest in getting a PhD or JD.
32. I love all kinds of music, but my favorite genre is BLUES!
33. I love musicals- my three favorites are The Phantom of the Opera, The Music Man and Little Shop of Horrors (I have the soundtracks for all three).
34. One of my biggest dream is to provide a voice for a character in a Disney or Pixar film.
35. I've been an extra in a few movies (most of them independent films shot here in North Texas).
36. I enjoy playing Texas Hold "Em and enter tournaments that benefit charities whenever I can (I have no interest in entering Casino tournaments).
37. Last September I had to have 7 hernias repaired...yep- SEVEN hernias at the same time!
38. In 2007 my colon exploded (literally- I heard the POP) while I was driving down I-35 in Oklahoma and somehow I managed to drive myself to the hospital (several inches of my colon were removed and I learned I have Diverticulitis).
39. I say "what the FRAK" way too much!
40. Nature and I don't get along very well (I prefer to enjoy the "beautiful outdoors" by looking at it through the windows).
41. I'm a bit of a germaphobe (I use a lot of Lysol & Germ-X).
42. I had a horrible stutter, lisp and really strong accent when I was a kid, but now people pay me to talk (it took a lot of work to fix those issues- and it was definitely worth it).
Hopefully, you enjoyed this month's unique "Mind Meld" post. I have to admit, it was difficult coming up with all 42 things. So I have to thank my wife & kids for helping me out with a few of them.
If you're a Geek actor, author, journalist, artist, scientist, blogger, podcaster, entrepreneur or have friends/family/colleagues/acquaintances who you think should participate in a Debt Black Hole "Mind Meld", please contact me on Twitter (@debtblackhole) or email me! I'm scheduling interviews for the rest of 2012 now!!!
My Mind To Your Mind, My Thoughts To Your Thoughts. Subscribe To The Debt Black Hole!